JOIN DESTINY IN 27 DAYS OF PRAYER + FASTING
We are encouraging our congregation to join the Destiny family in a time set aside for prayer and fasting. This is a season that calls for leaning in, to listen to the voice of God. And, also, we believe, leaning away from the voice of the world. We are starting, together, Tuesday, May 26.
RECOMMENDED DEVOTIONAL RESOURCES:
- Follow our Destiny Daily Devotionals – Short, under-5-minute devotional videos hosted on Destiny’s Facebook page. They are published at 6:15 a.m. each weekday morning.
- Awakening: 21 Days Of Prayer And Fasting Reading Plan – A short daily devotional reading with verses about fasting and freedom. Read with friends on the Bible app or on Bible.com. Recommended start date: Tuesday, May 26.
- Change Your Words, Change Your Life 7-Day Reading Plan – A short daily devotional reading partnered with scripture readings focussed on “walking in unity”. Read with friends on the Bible app or on Bible.com. Recommended start date: Tuesday, June 16.
- Uniting the Foursquare Family Against Racism Prayer Points – Our newly appointed Foursquare President, Randy Remington, has urged our Foursquare family to join together in prayer as well, on a special 3-day journey, with prayer points that you can sign up for in the link above. Read more about it here. The appointed time frame is June 15 to 17.
WHAT IS PRAYER AND FASTING AND WHY SHOULD I PARTICIPATE?
Destiny Foursquare encourages the practice of prayer and fasting. But if you are unfamiliar with the practice, we wanted to offer a few tips that can help you as you prayerfully consider how you can participate, in either a corporate or personal time of fasting.
Fasting is simply choosing do deny ourselves of good things, for a specific period of time, in favor of better things – namely, time seeking time away to spend with God. We don’t fast to impress Him or to earn His love or acceptance. We already have that! During times of fasting, we remind ourselves of our total dependence on Jesus, and willingly let go of other things so that we can focus more intentionally on Him.
Here are a few thoughts to help you participate:
- Decide what and how long you will fast
- Total Fast – with or without water.
- Partial Fast – abstaining from certain types of foods and/or a limited quantity of food, like Daniel’s fast in Daniel 10:3, where he fasted delicacies, meat, and wine. For example, you may choose to fast certain meals, like lunch. Or to just drink fruit and vegetable juices.
- Special Fast – fasting things other than food, like TV, certain activities, or social media.
- Fast Safely
- Especially if you are choosing to fast significant amounts of food. Please ensure that you are healthy. Consider consulting a physician if you are unsure.
- Pregnant women, diabetics, and those with poor health or eating disorders should not fast food.
- Fasting can be a healthy practice that is beneficial to your body. Limiting physical activity and ensuring adequate rest is important.
- Slowly reintroduce foods after fasting.
- Take time to Pray
- Fasting is more than doing without. It is a season of reallocating priorities to focus on prayer and seeking the Lord.
- Take part in intercessory prayer or worship meetings and schedule specific times to pray.
- Avoid Religious Displays and Beliefs
- In Matthew 6, Jesus encourages fasting as a practice done before the Lord, not for appearing more holy before people.
- Fast as a confident child of God, not a fearful slave trying to gain something from God.
- Fasting is difficult. Rely on the strength that God graciously gives to those who ask.
- If you slip up, take it to the Lord in prayer, and continue with the rest of your fast. His yoke is easy and His burden is light.
- Expect Results
- This time of focused attention on prayer will accomplish much in your life and in the lift of our church.