We loved seeing everyone this weekend! Feel free to message us during the week if you have any questions. If you missed this week’s message, or want to hear it again, check out our SERMONS Page. Messages are generally posted each week by Tuesday afternoon.
Every week, we aim to provide you with some questions to process the message deeper, either personally or with a small group. Here are some questions for you to consider from the message, “Behold the Power of Words,” part 1 of the JAMES series, with Pastor Shawn M. Shoup.
- James 3:1-12
- Psalm 104:1-3
- Matthew 7:7-8
- John 4:13-14
- John 7:37-39
- Luke 12:48
- Proverbs 10:19
- Romans 3
TALK IT OUT
Discuss these questions with someone—maybe a family member, friend, or member of your Connect Group. Use a communication method that works best for your situation.
Find a conversation starter.
- Define influence.
- What influence do you have?
- How are you using that influence?
Ask a question to get you/your group thinking.
- What have you been thinking?
- How is your destiny affected by the words you use?
- How can you change the words you are using?
Choose a question to create openness.
- If the words you use are plants and your heart a field, what would the field and plants look like?
- Are your words blessing or cursing yourself and others?
- Is there a difference between the words spoken, typed, or messaged? Explain
Be bold and pray with power.
Show me how You see my heart. Enable me to change the words that I use. Help me not to hurt others. Thank you for the freedom to make the necessary changes needed to be a blessing to others.
Amen and amen.
Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- Take note of the words you use and the purpose behind them.
- Journal how your words have affected or may have affected others and yourself.
- Take The Tongue Test. For one week (to start with), try not to complain, boast, gossip, run others down, be defensive/full of excuses, but be full of affirmation.
- If God were to record the words you use, would they bless or hurt you? What changes do you need to make?
- Read the book of James in one sitting for a week and journal what Holy Spirit speaks.
- Pick one or two of those options and take steps to walk them out this week.