We loved seeing everyone this weekend! Feel free to message us during the week if you have any questions. If you missed this week’s message, or want to hear it again, check out our SERMONS Page. Messages are generally posted each week by Tuesday afternoon.
Every week, we aim to provide you with some questions to process the message deeper, either personally or with a small group. Here are some questions for you to consider from the message, “Faith and Favoritism,” part 5 of the THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING series, with Pastor Shawn M. Shoup.
- James 2:1-13
- Matthew 12:33
- Deuteronomy 10:17-19
- James 1:26-27
- Luke 6:45
TALK IT OUT
Discuss these questions with someone—maybe a family member, friend, or member of your Connect Group. Use a communication method that works best for your situation.
Find a conversation starter.
- Define: Suffering, integrity, partiality, favoritism, and judgment
- What is your reaction when you do not get what you want, both internally and externally?
- Is your internal world being reflected in your outside world?
- What guides the words you use? Is it internal or external? Explain.
Ask a question to get you/your group thinking.
- How do you express your faith?
- How is your faith reflected in your relationships?
- What does favoritism look like in your world?
- How do you know if an individual has it all together or is barely holding it together?
Choose a question to create openness.
- If Jesus were to walk with you for a week, what would He find in your life?
- How has God shown His Love to you? Are you sharing it?
- What do mercy, love, and grace do with partiality/favoritism? Or does it?
Be bold and pray with power.
Help me to see where I show favoritism or partiality. Show me how You see the individuals and circumstances that pass through my life. Include how You see me, also. Make me aware of the situations in the lives of those who cross my path. Thank You for helping me to make the changes I need to make.
Amen and amen.
Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- Pray daily for the people who are not like you or that you may have issues.
- Watch how you react to various people and situations. Record what you see in your journal.
- Pick a situation or individual and pray for God’s perspective. Then find a way to encourage them.
- If God were to walk your shoes for a day, what would be different? Try to find a way to make those changes.
- Determine, with God’s help, to eliminate hurtful judgments.
- Read the book of James in one sitting for a week and journal what Holy Spirit speaks.
- Pick one or two of those options and take steps to walk them out this week.