Going through Proverbs this summer has been pretty amazing! Walking with the wise and growing in wisdom together has definitely been pretty cool. But now, school is starting up again. The kids are getting back into the books. Routines are starting up again. And it’s a time when many of us are looking to learn and grow.
Pastor Shawn has taught a series called “H.A.B.I.T.S.”, based off teaching from a mentor-in-youth-ministry-from-afar, Doug Fields, for many, many years. It is a series designed to help students develop healthy habits for long-term, independent spiritual growth. And that’s the name of the game here. We are going to tailor this series of 6 messages for our church family: to bring us deeper into the Word of God, and give us tools to keep developing our faith, outside the walls of the church building.
The HABITS series outlines six spiritual disciplines for all believers, young and old:
- Hanging Out With God – Learning to have a consistent time with God through prayer, bible reading, silence and solitude, and memorizing scripture, etc. (Matt. 4:4) (1 John 5:14)
- Attending Church – Committing to the body of Christ and our church body. (Hebrews 10:24-25) (Galatians 6:2) We are much better together!
- Being Generous – Being willing to give our time, energy, gifts, and money to Jesus’ purposes. (Acts 20:35) (Luke 21:1-4)
- Investing in Healthy Relationships – Developing accountability with the people around you who can help you live and grow in your faith in Jesus Christ. (Galatians 6:1-5) (James 5:16)
- Telling my Story – You have an awesome story and people need to hear it! No one’s story is boring because God does not make boring stories! (1 John 1:1-4)
- Serving Others – We all have something to give and Destiny has a ton of different opportunities for you to use your gifts! (1 Peter 4:10-11)
Plan to attend, starting in September, and we’ll develop HABITS to change our lives, together, as a church family.