The time after a great spiritual victory can be disheartening and lonely. Pastor Eduardo Bogéa shares encouragement. Day 6 of 21 Days of Prayer + Fasting in 2019.
“And he prayed that he might die, and said, ‘It is enough! Now, Lord, take my life, for I am no better than my fathers!’ … And the angel of the Lord came back the second time, and touched him, and said, ‘Arise and eat, because the journey is too great for you.’” (1 Kings 19:4,7 NKJV)
There are times when great success is followed by a time of profound disappointment and loneliness.
For Elijah, this time came immediately after having boldly and publicly stood up against the prophets of Baal. First Kings 19 says he longed for death under the broom tree (v. 4). Perhaps Elijah had unrealistic expectations after his victorious confrontation on Mount Carmel. Instead, he went into hiding with a heart full of fear and frustration.
When God allows the “train” of our prayers and ministry to finally “come in,” often the train stops. Sometimes the momentum does, too. Getting the train back out of the station can take an overwhelming amount of energy. Christian leaders may struggle with exhaustion as they try to redirect and rebuild momentum for their next major challenge.
Elijah went through a dark period in his assignment, but in every moment of despair, God was present to care for his needs and keep him on course (vv. 5-7). Along our journey as ministers, we will experience times of loss, fear and frustration. But God will be with us to care for us and give us the strength we need to carry on.
Let us always be aware of His presence and keep moving forward in His grace.
Prayer + Reflection
1. Pray for the Holy Spirit to strengthen and revitalize every minister of the Foursquare family.
2. Pray for the Holy Spirit to make us sensitive to the Father’s voice.
3. Pray for the protection of all pastors and their families.
- Emotional Healthy Spirituality by Peter Scazzero
- “Setting Captives Free” Series by Mike Cleveland
- Cleansing Stream International Ministries
- Dr. Henry Cloud Ministries
- Commended to the Word Daily Devotional (Daniel Brown)
- Your Move with Andy Stanley Podcast
- See all recommended resources
Print out the full 21 Days of Prayer + Fasting PDF to follow along in your quiet time.